By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Define stoichiometry.
- Describe the importance of the mole ratio in stoichiometric calculations.
- Write a mole ratio relating two substances in a chemical reaction.
- Identify the limiting and excess reactant of a reaction.
- Distinguish between theoretical yield, actual yield, and percent yield.
- Calculate the amount (moles, mass, volume, or particles) of a reactant or product from the amount (moles, mass, volume, or particles) of a different reactant or product.
- Calculate the amount in moles or mass of a product, given the amounts in moles or mass of two reactants, one of which is in excess.
- Calculate the percent yield, given the actual yield and quantity of a reactant.
Explore Reactant and Products at PhET
Explore the Solubility of Salts at PhET