By the end of this unit students will be able to:
- Recognize the physical indicators of chemical reactions.
- Write chemical equations using the appropriate nomenclature and symbols.
- Satisfy the Law of Conservation of Mass while balancing chemical equations.
- Classify reactions (synthesis, decomposition, single-displacement, double-displacement, and combustion).
- Predict the products of a synthesis, decomposition, and combustion reactions.
- Use the activity series to predict the products of a single-displacement reaction.
- Use the solubility rules to determine the solubility of the products of a double-displacement reaction.
- Define endothermic and exothermic.
- Describe the factors that change the rate of the reaction.
Practice Balancing Equations at PhET
Explore Reaction Rates at PhET